There are many different contact lenses out on the market today but only a few of them provide proper UVA and UVB protection. Here is a list of the contacts that provide the most UVA and UVB protection on the market:
- Acuvue Oasys
- Acuvue TruEye
- Acuvue Moist
- Biotrue One Day
Other lenses do provide some UV protection but minimal at best compared to the lenses listed above. If you would like to switch or try one of the lenses, book a contact lens fit with our optometrist! Please note that a valid glasses prescription is required for a contact lens fitting otherwise a full eye exam is required as well.
With the summer months coming up, it is crucial that we protect our eyes from the UV. Take these steps to ensure yours and your family’s eyes are properly protected:
- Sunglasses whenever you are outside. Don’t be fooled by the cloud cover – the clouds don’t protect you from UV! The UV index may still be high on cloudy days.
- Layers of protection. Hats + sunglasses + contact lenses (for those that wear them).
- Different styles of sunglasses provide more protection than others – wrap style sunglasses provide more than flat styles. UV can still creep in from the top and sides of the frames – which is why layers of protection is key!
- If you are wearing sunglasses, so should your children no matter the age. We receive majority of sun exposure before the age of 18 so make sure your kids are protected!
- If glare is an issue for you, polarized lenses are the way to go! These are best for water activities as well. However, looking at screens on phones/tablets will be a little difficult in polarized lenses.
If you follow these tips, your eyes will be well protected from the UV and reduce the chance of UV related eye diseases (ie. cataracts, macular degeneration, pinguecula, pterygium).
Have a great weekend!